In the past week I’ve tried it out three times, all with amazing success. I’ve made two grilled sandwiches and one quesadilla. What I love about this grill/panini press is that it has removable/reversible plates so you have the option of a flat surface or a rippled one -- I’ve learned that I completely prefer flat.
MEAL 1 : Proscuitto, Fig & Fontina Panini
- A few slices of proscuitto
- Fig spread
- Fontina cheese
- Salad greens
- Good bread (I splurged and used $6 a loaf rosemary/garlic bread from a local bakery – Nashoba Brook Bakery -- that I got at Whole Foods. It made an incredible difference.)
- Spread fig preserve on one slice of bread.
- Add cheese, greens, and proscuitto on top of spread and top with second slice of bread.
- Grill on medium until cheese is melty and bread is toasty. Cut in half. Enjoy!
|Photographing sandwiches is hard....|
MEAL 2 : Beef & Cheddar Quesadilla
- A few slices of roast beef
- Sharp cheddar cheese (I recommend using really good cheese, not that phony cheese stuff. The better the cheese the more delicious this quesadilla will be, and with only a few ingredients you really want the cheese to shine.)
- 1 medium onion
- Slice onion and sauté until translucent. While onion is cooking slice cheese into thin strips to help it melt.
- Layer cooked onion, cheese, beef in a tortilla and fold over so it looks like a big taco.
- Grill on medium until cheese melts and outside of tortilla is toasty. Enjoy!
- (Note: Watch out that cheese doesn't melt too much and run all over the panini plate… mine did.)
MEAL 3 : Roasted Pepper & Veggie Panini
|Before grilling... it looks like a big piece of bruschetta.|
Ingredients: The best part about this panini is that you can use basically anything you have on hand. I used:
|My ingredients all chopped up|
- Roasted red peppers
- Artichoke hearts
- 10 kalamata olives
- Basil & sun dried tomato goat cheese
- Salad greens
- Good bread (I used the same bread as Meal 1.)
- Chop up all veggies and cheese.
- Layer all ingredients between two slices of bread.
- Grill on medium until cheese is melty and bread is toasty. Cut in half & enjoy!
All three of these meals were incredibly delicious and relatively healthy, too! I’m so excited to make some more. Thank goodness I no longer have to do the awkward attempt to flip sandwich/quesadilla on pan and watch all my fillings fall out routine that I used to do when making grilled sandwiches. YAY!
If you have a favorite sandwich/panini recipe I would love to hear it! Share!