Sunday, August 15, 2010

Call Me a Hater

Dear beet, I think you taste like a dirty potato. Sorry.

Photo courtesy of Andrew Scrivani for The New York Times
So when this article was called to my attention (Beet Recipes Even a Beet Hater Can Love by the New York Times) I was intrigued. Albeit, still skeptical. I have yet to make one of these "tasty delights" which include:
  • Beets & Beet Green Gratin
  • Beet, Citrus and Avocado Salad
  • Mixed Spring Green Salad with Roasted Beets
  • Grated Raw Beet Salad
  • Roasted Spring Onion and Beet Salad

Perhaps I will dive in and attempt one of these and *gasp* maybe I will like one of them. Though, dear beet, don't hold your breath.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried baking with beets? There are lots of recipes for chocolate beet cake.

    I think the general idea is that you puree the beets and use like you would applesauce to replace oil. And it just makes the cake dark and moist -- not beet-y.

    I'm hoping for beets in the box this week, as I've been wanting to try making dark chocolate beet muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds like a good idea! Anything to disguise the beet-ness would be great. I did make a chocolate zucchini bread earlier this season so I bet it's probably a lot like that. (Except my bread turned out terrible since I did something wrong -- maybe used the wrong oil -- and the bread was all mushy inside. Still tasted good though!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...