2 weeks ago we began sewing some seeds for our plants that have recommended start dates of 4-8 weeks before the last frost.
I just finished reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and I'm so pumped up for our little backyard vegetable garden to sustain us through the summer. I know it will be nothing like her experiment, but I'm quite excited to have our table full our own homegrown goodness to supplement what we buy at the farm market.
Here's a bit of what we have planned for this year's containers:
- Ivory Pear Tomatoes (small cherry size)
- Morning Sun Tomatoes (also small cherry size)
- 4 types of Basil including lime and purple
- Catnip (gotta keep the kitties happy too!)
- Anaheim Peppers
- Red Bell Peppers
- Multi-colored Peppers
- Rocky Top Lettuce Mix
- Red Wonder Strawberries & Yellow Wonder Strawberries
- Pink Banannas (seriously!)
- Litchi Tomatoes (they are actually berries)
- Ground Cherries
- Two types of Carrots, Pariesienne and Little Finger
- Amsterdam Prickly Seeded Spinach
We're doing ALL of those from seed. We're also going to purchase these as plants rather than starting from seed:
Holy cow, it's a lot, I know. I can't wait.
Now I just need to sit and be patient. Grow, baby, grow.