Monday, November 23, 2009

Apricot Baked Brie, Italian Wedding Soup & Saffron Ice Cream

3 Weeks Ago... The recipes for this meal came out of my new “Cooking with all Things Trader Joes”.

Brie – Yum! Of course, I am bias because I love cheese. Warm and melty brie topped with apricot preserves and almonds… Delish! Score: 9 out of 10.

Soup – I bought a beautiful new 10 gallon pot from Bed, Bath & Beyond so I figured it was about time to make soup! I’ve never made Italian wedding soup before. Contrary to what many believe, Italian wedding soup is not made for weddings. In Italian, the term “wedding” means that two things go very well together, as the ingredients in this soup do. The recipe didn’t call for pasta but I decided to throw some in since I love carbs so much. I used a very small little pasta. (It was a good call, except for the fact that the pasta sucked up some of the broth so I’ll have to remember to add extra broth next time to compensate.) All in all, the soup was great… and there was enough for one meal and much, much more. I would definitely make this again, or bring it to a party! Score: 7 out of 10.

Ice Cream – Saffron is the most expensive spice on earth, so it seems logical to make ice cream with it, right? Well, I was a little skeptical, especially since I’m working with the budget of a graduate student. But, with a little jar weighing in at $5.99 and a tub of vanilla bean ice cream only $2.99 I figured it was worth a shot. Verdict: Great! I only had to use half of the jar of saffron (can save the rest for another time – I have a pasta recipe that calls for creamy saffron sauce) so it was relatively economical, considering the fact that I got to eat a little dish of it every night for a whole week after. Plus, the ice cream recipe called for crushed pistachios (a personal favorite!), which really added to the flavor. It was certainly a fun way to spice up plain old ice cream. Score: 9 out of 10.

Drink – I made a mimosa with Orangina and cheap Champagne. Wonderful idea!

Overall meal score: 8.5 out of 10.


The book I used in cooking this week:  Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...