Monday, November 23, 2009

Pennette all Puttanesca Bianca



“30 Minute Pasta” this book claimed, so how could I turn that down? Among nearly 100 other generally easy to make pastas, I picked this one for its uniqueness. I am not a fan of traditional Italian “red sauce”. Wait, I shouldn’t be so nice – I HATE “red sauce”. But, I love pasta! So, I figured I would try out something different that didn’t have a typical sauce...

How does one do that? Of course, find one that includes a tin of anchovies. Now, I’m not a particular fan of anchovies, I don’t hate them, but I don’t clamor for them either. But, the recipe promised they wouldn’t be too noticeable – and it was right! They brought a “rich” element to the pasta but weren’t overpowering. A traditional puttanesca includes tomatoes but in my effort to be “different” and steer clear of “red sauce” I chose for the bianca version that used panko breadcrumbs to add some substance to the sauce instead of tomatoes. I also thought that this recipe had a good return on flavor for its amount of effort (I would call this recipe “easy prep” since it included chopping up garlic, olives, parsley and anchovies and scooping capers out of a jar). The pasta was a little too salty for my general preference, but here it worked... Added bonus: this pasta was also pretty good the next day (and the day after that) served cold.

Score: 7 out of 10. 

The book I used in cooking this week:  Giuliano Hazan's Thirty Minute Pasta: 100 Quick and Easy Recipes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...