Monday, November 23, 2009

Mussels in Red Chile Broth

2 Weeks Ago... I cheated, I’ve made these before. Though, never in my fancy new pot… so it’s sort of a new experience. Unfortunately the Star Market here in Boston (unlike Wegmans in Rochester) didn’t have seafood stock so I had to settle for chicken. I didn’t think it would make a difference, but it did, the broth was a little bland. (Will have to remember for the future to add some extra spice when using low-sodium chicken broth – or health be damned and just choose high-sodium). It’s also possible that the blandness was caused by the fact that I’m out of my favorite hot sauce – Chalulah – which I threw a few shakes into the broth last time. Other than that, the mussels were as delicious as ever. Because avocados weren’t ripe at the supermarket, this time I didn’t have the chance to fill up on guacamole before the mussels were ready, so it was actually a pretty good serving size. (And even got to nibble on some cheese later which I always seem to buy at the grocery store – forgetting how big the meal I’m preparing to make is really going to be.) Score: 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...